Learner's definition of SEASON
1 [count] : one of the four periods (spring, summer, autumn, and winter) into
which the year is commonly divided
- Spring is my favorite season (of the year).
- I enjoy watching the seasons change every year.
2 : a particular period of time during the year: such as a [count] : a period of
time when a particular sport is being played
- the baseball/football season
- The team had a good season last year. [= the team played well last year]
b : a period of time when a particular event, process, activity etc. occurs [count]
- These plants have a short growing season.
- the breeding/mating season [= the period of time when animals, birds etc. are
- the Christmas season
- (US) the holiday season [= the time from late November through January
when several holidays (such as Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year's Eve)
- The article talks about ways to stay healthy during flu season. [= the time of
year, and especially the winter, when many people get influenza and other mild
- June marks the beginning of tourist season. [= the time when many people go
to visit places as tourists]
- During peak season [= the time when tourists visit the most], the island is very
c [count, noncount] : a period of time when people are legally allowed to hunt,
- Deer season starts next week.
- lobster season
FONTE: Available at: www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/season. Accessed
in: March 2016.